Sunday, December 10, 2006

Winter in Ramadan

I was surprised when Ali told me that they are working on two Ramadan songs in the 6th grade Orchestra; Winter in Ramadan and El Hawa Fi Ramadan. He asked if I know them, I shock my head. I told Him I know Ramadan Gana (here it comes Ramadan) but he was not iterested in that one.
In the same week, Hesham came with lots of 9th grade homework about Hajj, an assignment to conclude commandments for muslems from 24 Quran verses and prophet last speech . It was a good apportunity for me to work with him and discuss issues that we seldom talk about in a structured way. Anchorage school district; thank you.

3 Comments:

At 7:20 PM, Blogger Mahmood Al-Yousif said...

and he'd probably end up with a better understanding of Islam there than he ever would here!

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger أبو سنان said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger أبو سنان said...

Abu Hesham,

That is great! My daughter plays violin and we always wondered why there was no mention of Ramadan in the seasonal concerts they gave.

They played Christmas and Jewish songs, but nothing about Ramadan. When I inquired about this they said there was not any music that they could find that fit the bill.

Knowing the way some Muslims feel about music, I couldnt argue. I am so happy that you posted this.

Is there anyway I could talk you into scanning a copy of the music and any lyrics and e-mailing it to me?

I would love to pass this information onto the orchestra teachers here. There is a large Muslim population here in the Metro DC area. I go to these holiday concerts and have always felt bad for the chuldren because you look at the dozen or so Muslim names on the program we get with the names of the musicians on it and realised there wasnt anything they were playing that recognised them or their traditions.

This could remedy that. So please, either scan and send me the music and lyrics or find out where they can be purchased.

That would be great! It is amazing how Anchorage, with a very small Muslim population, has found a way to be inclusive of it's Muslim students, but my childrens school here, with perhaps 10% Muslim population, has not.

Thanks for any help.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home