Tuesday, November 21, 2006


Recess at 20 below


Today my son Ali gave me a vivid description of what they go through every day in the school at recess. Recess is supposed to be the favorite of every one, right? Wrong, It is not if it is outdoors at below 20 (with wind) with hard icy ground. "We huddled like penguins!" Added Ali. I laughed; I thought that was funny and clever analogy. Obviously, I realized that shouldn't have been my first response. I watched the movie (The March of the Penguins) and since then I have lots of respect and admiration to all the Penguins. Back to the recess; they will continue to have it outdoor except if it goes below 30 or the school gets visited by a bear or an angry moose.

5 Comments:

At 1:30 AM, Blogger Um Naief said...

Has your son seen Bahrain or has he spent all of his life in Alaska?

I can't imagine playing outside in that type of weather, but you know, in thinking about it, I grew up in Indiana and it got really cold w/ lots of snow and ice during the winter. As children, we'd play outside for hours... only to come inside w/ red hands and feet. We'd sit in front of the fire place warming ourselves... I loved it.

I have a great respect for penguins as well... especially after seeing March of the Penguins.

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger SillyBahrainiGirl said...

LOL! Allah Kareem!!

 
At 7:04 AM, Blogger أبو سنان said...

I like cold weather. I remember when I lived in Alaska and it warmed up to around 30 degrees people would walk around in t-shirts.

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Jill Homer said...

It is funny how different places have different limits on what is considered danger cold. When I was a kid, they wouldn't let us near a door if it dropped below 15 (above.) But it's probably because we always showed up to school in cotton hoodies and tennis shoes.

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Haitham Salman said...

Tooners,
Ali was born in Bahrain but has been in the US since age 3, but he spends the summer in Bahrain.

Jill,
it is true. when I was in Dallas the city gets paralyzed with 2 inches of snow.
kids still play outdoors when it is cold but it is hard when it gets windy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home