Thursday, June 22, 2006

The Match of the Month



We had a Korean table tennis player From Seatle visiting Alaska 3 week ago mostly for fishing, but we managed to have him exchange his fishing rod for table tennis racket for one day. Sang Yung, a former AK tennis champion for several years and among top 5 players in Washington, and a winner of US open under 2200 rating few years ago, with a record of participating in more than 50 tournments state wide, was a tough challange. His official USA table tennis association rating is 260 point higher than me (this is a big gap). Well, usually the official rating is a pretty accurate in determining how good you are with one exception. That is, if you don't play in big tournments your rating will be low even if you are good, as you have to "steal" points from those rated above you by winning them. Obviously everyone claims to be under-rated but I am truely under-rated! So, we arranged a small tournment( top 5 players RR) and both of us won against all other players 3/0. We decided to play the final 4 out of 7 (I almost regreted accepting that). It was very challenging game that I was ahead 3/1 than equal 3/3 then I WON 4/3. I will leave you with clips from the match; this time it is not only me smashing