Friday, March 10, 2006

Alaska Table Tennis Top Player

Alaska Table Tennis Top Player

My fascination with table tennis started like a love at first sight! Everybody else was playing football which is a game I like to watch but I actually suck at! So started playing on ready to collapse table in Daih club, with no team no coach and not even a descent racket. I used to buy the balls from nearby baker (الخباز ) and boil the dented ones! At age 15, I formed a team and I became a player and a coach. A year later I was selected for the national team. When I started college, I thought I had to choose, so I quit playing.
Six years later, I tried to get back to the game, but it was hard as I lost some grounds. So I switched to occasional recreational mode thinking that the spark has gone. I moved to USA 8 years ago, I made sure that my table tennis racket is still with me. Last summer I googled table tennis and Anchorage; to my surprise there was a table tennis club just next door. I cleaned up the dust and got new rubber and headed there. It turned out that the spark is still there and the passion is still flaming. 4 months later I won Alaska table tennis open championship. So don't give up on something you love.

My regards
Haitham





5 Comments:

At 3:33 AM, Blogger Mahmood Al-Yousif said...

heh, congrats doc!

 
At 3:48 AM, Blogger SillyBahrainiGirl said...

Mabrook!! That's amazing!!!

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger MR said...

Please hang that championship award right next to your medical certificates. As a patient, I would feel doubly assured by a knife in a table-tennis-coordinated hand.

Congratulations!

(How did the P.R. of China conceded such a big territory to you?)

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Haitham Salman said...

Mahmood, SBG and MR
Thanks guys,
I really appreciate the support..
Now, I guess, I should prepare myself for US open comming up in July.

Wilhelm, would you like exchanging places? do you like Bahrain, I would be interested in hearing your views about Bahrain. By the way the picture of bold Eagles was taken in Ninilchik that is between Soldtena and Homer. I like it here, I ctually work for the native hospital so I have a lot of interaction with the Alaskan Natives. Very nice and extremely respectfull people.

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations Haitham, this is Karl Augestad your finalist opponent and tournament director you played in that tournament. It was a great match. Actually one of our best we played. Edging me out 11-8 in the 7th Game! You played great that day and it was an honor to see recently at the Arnold's Sports Festival in Columbus Ohio on March 7-9, 2009. Haitham, Andy Hutzel (Ukrainian/American), Jorg Heger (Germany) and myself, Karl Augestad (A native born Alaskan) participated in the North American Team Championships as the "Alaskan Assassins" in 2006 in Baltimore, MD, finishing 2nd place in division #7. A great finish. Look forward to teaming up with Haitham in Baltimore, MD in 2009, November during Thanksgiving. Spin ON, Karl

 

Post a Comment

<< Home